Sunday, September 26, 2010

Cromwell Valley Park Sunday 9/26/10

As the rain cleared this afternoon I decided to go birding at Cromwell Valley Park and look for the elusive Connecticut Warbler still missing from my life list. Just as I got there a birder couple pointed out a Northern Waterthrush feeding along the creek. I hunkered down next to the water's edge and watched the waterthrush slowly walking towards me flicking leaves over and picking maggots and leaches hiding underneath. While I was sitting there, an American Redstart, Magnolia Warbler, Black-throated Green Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warblers and Common Yellowthroats were flitting around in the bushes by the water. The surrounding trees were busy with Downy Woodpeckers, Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Northern Flickers, Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers and American Robins, Brown Thrasher and Gray catbirds came down to drink and bath in the creek.

Northern Waterthrush:
 Gray Catbird:

The rest of the afternoon was spent birding the Minebank Trail and I added another Northern Waterthrush, 4 Palm Warblers, 2 Nashville Warblers, a male Black-throated Blue Warbler, a stunningly bright Tennessee Warbler, 2 Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, Marsh Wren and 2 Lincoln's Sparrows.

Rose-breasted Grosbeak:
Magnolia Warbler:
 Tennessee Warbler:

1 comment: